Many of us think of ‘lemon and sugar’ when it comes to topping our pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, but if you fancy branching out this year, there are an array of flavour combinations worth experimenting with, many offering a healthy boost to your five a day.
Creative pancake toppers
- Sliced blood orange, crumbled hard ricotta & orange zest
- Wilted spinach, ricotta, lemon zest & extra virgin olive oil
- Almond butter, finely chopped almonds, raspberries & honey
- Cottage cheese, chopped fresh herbs, streaky bacon, lemon zest & mixed seeds
- Blackberries & honey
- Sliced figs, Parma ham, rocket & extra virgin olive oil
- Roasted rhubarb, pistachios & honey
- Tahini yoghurt, feta, pomegranate seeds & fresh coriander
- Roasted cherry tomatoes, rocket & quality balsamic vinegar
- Smoked salmon, sliced avocado, fresh chives & lime juice
- Sliced kiwi fruit, passion fruit & sunflower seeds
- Greek yoghurt, blueberries, poppy seeds, orange zest & fresh mint
- Sliced mango, coconut yoghurt, coconut shavings & lime zest
- Sliced figs, Greek yoghurt & orange zest
- Almond butter & sliced strawberries
- Sliced banana & grated dark chocolate
- Grated fresh fruit salad & fresh mint
Allergen free pancakes
If you or a loved one has allergies, why not try the pancake recipe below:
1 cup all-purpose gluten free flour
1 Tablespoon Flax Meal
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
¼ teaspoon Salt
2 Tablespoons Sugar
¼ cup unsweetened Applesauce
1 cup Rice or Coconut Milk
- In a small bowl, mix the flax meal with a small amount of the milk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, sugar, applesauce, and coconut milk.
- Add in the flax meal and mix.
- Add in the baking powder last and mix until incorporated, do not over mix.
- Let the mixture stand for one minute before cooking.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter onto a hot griddle, let the pancakes cook on one side until bubbly and then flip and cook the other side.
- Pancakes are done when they are browned on both sides.
- Serve with fruit, maple syrup, or your favourite toppings.