In order to keep our residents’ loved ones informed and assured, we recently sent a letter to all of our families detailing the Catering measures we are taking in the provision of nutrition and hydration in our Nellsar Homes.
Read on for more details on the measures we are taking:
• Emergency menus: In the extremely unlikely event of very limited stock being available to our Homes we have an emergency menu prepared.
• Emergency stock: We have compiled emergency food stock to cover any potential food shortage(s) or delayed deliveries.
• Staff contingency plans: We have written a plan detailing who would cover any potential staff shortages, and the types of training those people would need in terms of: menus, food safety, hygiene, modified food textures, kitchen resources, individuals’ needs – medical allergies, diabetes, fortification, reduced calorie diets, sodium restricted diets, digestive problems or cultural.
• High levels of essential foods: We are well-equipped with a wide variety of – and alternatives for – starchy foods, high protein foods, dairy products, fruits and vegetables. We also plan to bake our own bread in-house, and we can make our own yoghurt with a new technology (yogurt is a great source of vitamin D which regulates the immune system).
• Lines of communication: We keep in touch with all local suppliers on a regular basis – from fruits and vegetables, to dairy produce, and fresh meat and fish from the butcher – we maintain great relationships and they never let us down. Each supplier assures us they will give plenty of notice if they foresee any potential problems with supply.
• Continuing to offer a balanced diet: We offer residents and staff fresh home-made lemonade (it is high in vitamin C which helps white cells to fight against infections); ginger (which can help reduce sore throat sand other inflammatory illnesses), garlic (it contains valuable nutrients and immune-boosting properties from allicin); red pepper (which contains plenty of C vitamin which helps the body absorb iron); broccoli (it is high in antioxidants vitamins A, C and E); almonds (they contain vitamin E which is key to a healthy immune system); and fruit salads – general foods that boost our immune system.
Head of Catering Services for Nellsar Limited.
Click here to read the letter sent to our residents’ families.